Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Catch

It's funny when everything is not really specified even in fine print. Guess that pretty much describes me and my experience in using the basic hosting package of Netfirms, and moral of the story? Things doesn't come cheap without a catch... well, in some cases, anyway.

Anyway, let me just elaborate what made me make the above statement, there's a Netfirms ad banner on top of every single HTML page being served by Netfirms basic hosting package. Guess that's the price of getting the domain name+hosting for cheap :p.

But nevertheless, it's still a good deal for the domain name itself (although another catch is that I have no way of knowing the username and password of OpenSRS.net to manage my domain name. Currently the only way I can manage my DNS settings is through Netfirms's own control panel).

I'm planning to buy a hosting package soon for my own personal website, probably by year end or so, hopefully there won't be much of a problem during that time. (which might be a BIG hopefully on my part :p).

[p/s: I have just bought another domain for my Parapara community site :), Malaysian Parapara Fantasy. I have been experiencing some minor hiccups due to my own carelessness, but luckily that the billing department of Netfirms ironed everything out quickly.]

4 comments:

Sze Hau said...

haha, there is always a catch behind "the cheap thing".

Netfirms offer the cheap hosting because they know they can earn money from you. They offer you the free hosting with google adsense. So, we do the works (create content) and they earn the money.

Luckily you still able to change the DNS to point other hosting.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.